Friday, February 3, 2012

The Cake is NOT a Lie.... 2 Ingredient Soda Cake



So, for those who are unfamiliar with the video game "Portal", I don't suppose this post's name makes a whole lot of sense...

I suppose one could simply summarize the game for the newbies who come across this page but, the important part of the story is really just that this recipe is a complete facade. You should go play portal and work it out for yourself. This here though, is DISGUSTINGLY simple. It is cannot count as a recipe, it is a completely ridiculous, just 3 ingredient, recipe. For a cake. 3 ingredients, including the can of icing, FOR A CAKE. And YET! It really is just three ingredients. Including the can of icing!

This is "No Lie" Cake. It's fluffy, light, and made with just one can/12 oz bottle of soda and a cake mix. That's all.

Being a stage 10 klutz, I still made my kitchen/self a disaster. As you can clearly see, right here: 

Oh, and here:


But in the end, the cake turned out nicely.


This cake, shown here, is a vanilla cake mix made with a black cherry soda. You simply combine the cake with the pop and mix it. I never used a hand mixer, just a big spoon, but I imagine that would make it even more ridiculously fluffy. I topped mine with a can of icing (vanilla) and ATTACKED everything with sprinkles.

I piped "no lie" in melted chocolate that I let cool in the fridge until it'd create that nice 3D look and, ta-da! "No lie" Soda Cake.

Anyway, please make note that this cake is simple and you should keep it simple when working with it. Twice now I have overshot the ability of this treat to hold its shape once free of the pan. I will never do so again. That is the main reason I got into an epic battle with those sprinkles. The cake was near cracking, in a desperate attempt to glue it together with frosting, I covered it with sprinkles to keep things in place. Just save yourself the nightmare, keep it in a pan or in a single layer. You'll be happier, promise.

Make and enjoy :)

Soda Cake
-1 box cake mix
-1 can/bottle (12 oz) soda

Choose any flavor of both cake mix and soda. Stir to combine.
DO NOT ADD EGGS, OIL, OR WATER. SERIOUSLY- JUST THE SODA.

Pour into greased pans, bake at 350 until a tooth pick comes out clean (approx 25 mins). Cool it entirely and top with icing, powdered sugar, or cinnamon to your liking. Yellow cake mix with coke and cinnamon is delicious. Dr. Pepper with chocolate cake is also intriguing. Try something fun and let me know how it goes!


*Update* Showcased on Sweet Saturdays

No comments:

Post a Comment